Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Abortion and the Center for Bio-Ethical Reform

Valentine’s Day: A day of love, affection and a lot of candy and Hallmark cards. When I woke up to go to class on the morning of Feb. 14, I thought it would be just another normal day on campus. I couldn’t have been more wrong.

The first thing that seemed out of place was the giant abortion truck that passed me as I was walking up University Parkway. On the side of the truck was a graphic image of an aborted fetus. Under the image was the organization’s name, the Center for Bio-Ethical Reform.

I wondered why on earth this truck would be heading to campus but it wasn’t until I reached the Canon Greens that I found out what was going on. The Center for Bio-Ethical Reform was setting up camp here, and there campsite was a fortress of tall posters displaying aborted fetuses.

To be honest I was a bit shocked to see such a disturbing eyesore take over our campus. I thought it was some kind of cruel joke at first but I went home later that day and found out they were a legit organization. The abortion stand was part of CBR's "Genocide Awareness Project."

From their website:

“CBR operates on the principle that abortion represents an evil so inexpressible that words fail us when attempting to describe its horror. Until abortion is seen, it will never be understood.”

A picture may be worth 1,000 words, yes, but what gets me is some organization from out of town invades our space and starts preaching to students about what a woman MUST do with her body. It’s kind of like having religious doorknockers inviting themselves into your house and telling you what to do.

You can’t just force sensitive issues onto people like that. That and we never even got a warning about CBR’s arrival as far as I’m concerned…

So with that being said I had a few questions for the University. Why did the CBR get a reserved spot on the Canon Greens, whereas every other organization is bound to the secluded free speech zone? What makes these guys special? Did they pay us?

Whatever your stance on abortion, the CBR got what they wanted and got everyone on campus turning heads at their stand. If you’re still looking for more information, visit abortionno.org.  (Visit at your own risk, as there is an abortion video that starts up as soon as you visit the site.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment